Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: A MUST READ!

Well, hello again internet. I have just finished reading Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games. So, I thought I would blog about it and give you my impressions of this book series so far. I say so far because I have a feeling, from the ending, that there may be a book three. We'll see. ;)

Winning means fame and fortune. Losing means certain death. The Hunger Games have begun...

With the sequel, catching fire, the capitol is angry. The capitol wants revenge.

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

I can sum it up in one word: AMAZING! The surprise twist at the end was unexpected to a degree. I knew that the one they now called "the mockingjay" aka Katniss, our heroine in this story would cause a rebellion and uprising against "the capitol" in the districts, unbeknownst to her. By winning the first hunger games, something district 12 twelve tributes rarely do due to lack of sponsors and totally denying the capital by pulling out those poisoned berries and pretending to eat them along with Peeta, refusing to kill and prefering to commit suicide and forcing the capitol to have TWO victors that year. Making the capitol look bad in the eyes of all the districts which was definitely not appreciated by the latter.

This book is riveting, full of suspense from beginning to end, just the right amount of romance without being "cheesy" and a survival of the fittest type of story. It has a reality TV type of feel but much better, I am not one for watching reality show as I do not believe it makes for excellent TV programming but with this book it works. I would even say that it is even better and more thrilling than The Hunger Games, the first novel of the serie. Suzanne Collins definitely won with this one, a must read. I put her on my list of favourite writers definitely. She has succeeded in making me love a book serie, if not more, just as much as JK Rowling's Harry Potter serie. And that in my book is the greatest accomplishment of all.

The ending leads me to believe that there will be be a book three coming, if so I MUST find out when it comes out and be there ready to get it on the day it is out.

We are left with Gale telling Katniss that district 12 is no more but that her family is safe. At the end of the hunger games, when the capitol realized that they have been played by the gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee, who had secret plans for years to overthrow the capitol and included some of the quarter quell tributes in his plan asking one to create a hole in the force field surrounding the arena and when Katniss realized who the enemy was aka the capitol, she used one of her arrows, tied beetee's wire to it and finish what beetee was supposed to do. Though Peeta and Johanna were captured by the capitol to eventually be forced to speak up and tell the capitol what they knew about this, Katniss, Finnick and Beetee were rescued by a hovercraft from the supposedly extinct District 13 by Plutarch Heavensbee and Haymitch.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that there is a third novel being written. Suzanne Collins cannot leave the readers not knowing what happens next. Though I must admit that is a perfect suspense ending leaving the reader wanting more.

I give this story ten thumbs up.

If you haven't picked up The Hunger Games yet, I would highly recommend it if you like this type of story that is. Than pick up the sequel later on. You definitely will not regret it.

Bye for now,
Hopefully I will see you tomorrow.

0 comments: