D-Activ8, "firsts" and FREE parking

Well folks last night was amazing. It was a spur of the moment decision but I am glad that I kicked myself in the butt and experienced this.

Ok, you might be thinking: "What in the world is she talking about?" Last night I went to a club in downtown Ottawa, not a dance club mind you but a small club to hear a ne and upcoming band play. By new I mean starting out in this business because they were not completely new to everyone there.

The band is called D-Activ8, I heard about them from Ben, a guy who was in my soccer team, it is his brother's band. It is a rock band heavy rock I would say at least heavier than the type of music I listen to, save Eric Lapointe of course. Check them out on myspace music. If you like this sort of music that is.

They are great and they definitely deserve to make it in this business. I think they are going straight to the top.

Of course I a not an expert when it comes to music, all I can say is that THEY CAN ROCK. And that is what they did last night: ROCK THE HOUSE if I may say so.

The opening acts were not bad at all either. One was called "The Birthday Boys" and I forget what the first one's name was, although compared to D-Activ8 I would say they were good. :)It is safe to say that last night, they gained a new fan.

Experiencing something you might not have done before, and I am talking a couple years ago if you told me that I would be going to a club downtown to hear a new band and be part of the social scene, I would have told you: "Are you kidding, this is not my thing".

First and new experiences are great. Life is about new experiences because if you always stay in your little comfortable bubble and never force yourself to do anything new, you simply cannot grow as a person.

The show was at the Live Lounge, if I remember the name carefully. It was really cute and well decorated and also kind of cozy, meaning that it was not huge and able to fit and insane amount of people. I prefer this sort of thing to incredibly crowded places.

I almost went into the wrong club though, club that is kind of the "slut club" as Ben called it. He calls it that because you see all these girls in skimpy outfits and you clearly know what their aim is: possibly hook up with some guy. Yikes. I got all the way to the cash to pay the cover charge when luckily I asked if it was where D-Activat8 was playing. When the girl said "no, it is next door" I ran out of there a little embarrassed at my mistake but hey it happens. lol And also glad that I didn't join in on that crowd which is definitely not my type of crowd.

First experiences are great but I do not think I want to start going to clubs known as the "slut club". I much prefer the cozy and artist feeling of the live lounge and actually hearing some new music rather than the purpose being to see all these people hook up with just about any guy. I really felt like I didn't belong as I was standing in line and kept wishing to see someone I knew, aka ben or perhaps catherine who said she might go, just to know that I was not in the wrong place and indeed I was.

That is totally me for sure though, making a mistake like that and almost going into the wrong place. lol Well, lesson learned and now I can say I have found a great place to go if ever I want to hear some new groups.

I always thought that it might be dangerous or scary to walk in the market at night. But somehow I didn't feel so scared. Mind you I made sure to be extra careful and park my car in a well lit area, no parking garage as this can be a little shady. But when I got out of the club at the end of the show, there was a lot of people walking around and I did as I usually do, make sure I walk amongst the crowd rather than on some street on my own, always holding my cell phone in my hand as my mom always made sure to warn me just in case. Even though I live close to the market, well possibly a 15 to 20 minutes walk, yes I walk slow, small legs lol, I prefered to take my car since it was at night and walking back to my place this late alone, is a stupid move for any girl. It is sad to say but the world can be a scary place sometimes for girls, with creepy weirdos that come out at night and everything you hear on the news, mind you I haven't really watched the news or TV lately but I do hear what happens and make sure I am safe at all times.

I was not sure I would find parking downtown at night. I found a spot after a couple times of driving around and I was looking at the meter-thingy to find out how much it cost and how long I could stay there for when a couple asked me the very question that was puzzling me: "How much does it cost?"

We later found out that it said FREE until 8:30am and nothing on it said we had to put money in it at night. Sweet! I mean if we got tickets we could have contested it because the machine CLEARLY stated "FREE UNTIL 8:30AM".

All in all, it was a fun night. I was quite tired as I got back home around 1am but it was totally worth it.

Awesome experience and amazing new band.

This year is totally the year of firsts for me. Started playing soccer, well I started that a little before this year but I digress. I joined a volleyball group and went out to a pub after a game with them, signed on for a drawing class and a photography class. I like this new me, becoming a little bit more social. No worries though, the liking my alone time will never disappear, I am still the little nerdy girl prefering to sit in a coffee shop's comfortable chair and spend hours reading or drawing or learning geeky programming from google or painting in the comfort of my home. Which lately I haven't found the time, but I will eventually. I MUST since I have a great idea for a painting and am quite antsy to start putting colours on canvas.

Bye for now, folks and hopefully I will see you tomorrow.

0 comments: